Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Story: Part 3 (take 2)

Let's try this again. It literally took me all day to draw the last panel (because, well, I'm with my family and you know what day it's today) but it's all good because I got it done before midnight

...right?


The rat, now dressed with a shorter floppy hat and an open shirt with short, jagged sleeves, helps Frank-the-mouse climb onto a rock. Frank now wears a smaller version of the coat, hat, and pants lined with fluff from before, which fit him perfectly. The rock is about twice Frank's size, but only reaches the rat's waist. The rock is in front of a tree with strange markings by a knothole. "Why did he bring me here?" thinks Frank, as he pushes himself up using a strange outcroping that rises vertically out of the rock. "I can’t argue that I’m lucky he had clothes in my size," he continues, watching the rat walk a shortways away; "but still, he could’ve at least *told* me--"  The rock actually has two vertical outcroppings which, when seen from the right angle, resemble large armrests. The rat reaches a female rat in a dress, holding her young daughter's hand. The daughter is in a similar dress. Both stand behind a small barrier composed of two twigs (waist-high for the adult rats) with a small string spanning between them. The rat in the jagged shirt bends down, and proceeds to remove the string.

The daughter imediately dashes from her mother's side, leaving her mother, astonished; and the rat with the jagged shirt, amused. The girl happily runs forth on all fours, directly to a highly puzzled Frank.
Frank looks straight up, and notices that the strange markings on the tree behind him are actually a sign reading "SANTA" Realizing what's going on, he barely has time to become alarmed,  as the daughter pounces him gleefully, knocking his floppy, fluff-lined hat off!
We now see the daughter sitting on Frank's lap (partially taking up part of his other lap as well), using his hat (which is slightly small for her head), and enthusiastically ticking things off on her fingers. Her mother looks on, clasping her hands in a loving manner, and smiling cutely. Frank, however, yells to the heavens, his tail stretched high. The rat in the jagged shirt looks on smugly, twirling the piece of string in circles. Merry Christmas! In curly red and green letters!

This sequence contains a lot of "firsts":

  • Panels 3 and 4 are the first time I draw characters from a "seven-quarters" view (from behind at a ¾ angle)
  • Panel 4 is also the first time I draw a digitigrade kneeling (which is next to impossible in nature)
  • Panel 5 is the first time I draw a character running on all fours with a dress (meaning I don't draw –and therefore don't know– what positions the legs are actually in)
  • Panels 5 and 6 are the first time I do a "see what the character is seeing" view (put the camera behind the character, pointing it in the same direction they're looking)
  • Panel 6 is also the first time I try anything close to a "from below" perspective
  • Panel 8 is the first time I do a "glomp"
  • Panels 8 and 9 are the first time I draw a child from one species with an adult from another, and manage to keep the proportions straight
  • Panel 9 is also the first time I draw the bottom of a foot that isn't a human foot
  • I'd like to say 9 is also my first attempt at showing a twirling motion, but that would be a lie
Honestly, if I didn't know I could do it, what was I thinking planning such a complicated sequence?

No comments:

Post a Comment