Sunday, October 24, 2010

Someone to introduce you to


A bare stage. My mouse avatar is trying to pull another mouse into the panel. "I… I… I’m not sure this  is such a good idea…" she says. 
"Come on," I say, "It'll only take a min–"   But I stop myself. "Oh, I'm on," I realize.  

"Uh… hello!" I tell the audience, dusting myself off. "Remember I said  there was something I wanted to tell you?
"There’s someone I’d like you to meet.   "...Though, you kind of know her already..."   "Aha!" interrupts the heckler. "So it's a 'her'!" 
"Shaddup," I say, annoyed.   "This’ll be easier  if we just… Jane, could you come  into the panel, please?   The mouse from before enters the panel, nervously. I take her hand,   and lead her towards the audience.   "Jane is an American Field Mouse," I explain. "She is also the  main character in one of the stories I’ll be  running here, specifically the longest-running story.   "Jane, say hello to my  five loyal readers."   "Well," says Jane, beginning to get over her initial nervousness, "I guess I *can* say it’s a pleas–"   But she stops, suddenly realizing something.   "Five?" she asks, scornfully. 
"That’s all the time we have today," I'm quick to say. "Until next time!"
The comic strip ends on that note.

Fun fact: Eurasian house mice are up to 4 inches long (measured from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail). The length range of American field mice (measured from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail) starts at 4 inches.

1 comment: