Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Summer vacation: 29.4% over

So, it's over. I miraculously passed all my courses, and am officially on summer vacation now. It's a wierd feeling; I've been taking summer courses ever since I started college. I'm finally free to do whatever I want.

Looking at the days gone by, I can't help but wonder, what have I accomplished? What have I been doing since the start of my "vacation"? I know I haven't been blogging, and that I've watched way more TV than I ever have (mostly because the computer is too close to the TV for me to be able to ignore it when anyone else turns it on) but have I just been lazing about?

Happily, the answer is no.

The first thing I did was this small Flash animation of my avatar walking forwards. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time; though there's no particular reason why.
I can't say I'm happy with the result. It's not only the obvious errors (such as those random lines that appear on the tail) I ran into a series of technical limitations that left me unable to make the animation come out the way I wanted – for instance, I was trying to make his gait seem more like a tiptoe, than someone dragging their feet; it also would've been ideal if Flash didn't add lines to the part of the sleeve that didn't have lines originally, when animating. Plus, despite knowing that this is "what it's supposed to  look like" (more on that later) I can't help feeling that the head looking forward doesn't seem right. I don't know if it's the eyes that are too small, or the neck that doesn't seem to be related to the rest of the body, but I know I didn't do it right.


Second thing is: I'm going to start running a story on this blog. Which posts are the story will be easily identifiable, and at least the posts relative to the story will be constant. The thing is, I got kind of carried away with planning the story, and the part I actually wrote dialogues for these past few days probably won't appear here for another two years. Oops!

Lastly, I made a piece of fan-art for Housepets!, one of the webcomics I read. I've been hesitant to say anything about it because I first wanted to go through the whole process of saying that yes, I do read webcomics, why I do so, and doing a formal review of the ones I read (what's good about it, what's bad, etc.) However, I never wrote the posts before doing the fan-art. What I made, however, is highly in-universe; you'd have to have read the full 2009 archives (starting with the January 19 strip, ending with the December 28 strip) to "get it". The art I made can be found here if anyone is still interested. As you can see, it was well-received.

Well, I guess that's all I got on this past week. Until next time!

1 comment: